Portland’s Old Port will experience a bit more holiday cheer again this year as the 3rd Annual Santacon Portland takes place Saturday, December 4th. Following another successful event last year with over 80 folks dressed as Santa, Mrs. Claus, Rudolph, Elves, Missletoe, and even a Christmas tree, the Santacon fun will begin at 4pm at The Empire, before embarking on everyone’s favorite drinking establishments to spread the holiday spirit throughout Portland’s Old Port. Everyone is welcomed to join in on the fun and excitement and enjoy a holiday drink or two, and yes, if you dress up there will be food and drink specials at each stop.
The organizers have created a list of tips to keep you off Santa’s naughty list;
1. Come in costume - its kinda the whole point. Don’t be “that guy” who shows up with only a Santa hat on. Be creative. If you’re not into Santa, come as some other holiday themed person or object. We are sure to have some Mistletoes, Christmas trees, snowmen, elves, and reindeer among us on Saturday. And maybe most importantly, the beer and food specials will only apply to people in costume! Do your wallet the favor!
2. Pace yourself. Santa likes to have a glass of water every now and then between his holiday beverages! With all those drink specials it’s going to be hard not to get a little too jolly, but don’t be that Santa. Santa reserves the right to deny that he knows you.
3. Tip well, treat the bars well and pay your tab. These places are nice enough to put up with us and to offer us some sweet deals, so return the favor! Santa is nothing if he’s not generous and joyous!
4. When you hear “Santas on the move,” finish your beer, pay your tab and follow the herd of Santas to the next spot.
5. Bring a camera. There’s truly is nothing like 50, 75, 100+ Santas marching down Congress St., ordering a beer, or doing anything for that matter. You will want to have photos to show friends and family not able to join us (or to help jog your own memory if you have one Prelude too many) The pics from last year are great, and with even more Santas this year, the photo ops will be plenty!